View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 12:11 PM
On Land

Continued...

Had to do several hours of searching to find some good diagrams for this tractor. I found a really nice diagram for a 1700… which has just a little more involved compared to the 1600. The charging system looks to be the same, so I studied it for a while. Later found a 1600 diagram, but there was no way to save the picture so I had to take a pic of the computer using my phone, so the end result was not the best… but still useful. I also stumbled across a diagram of the regulator and alternator. It was a pretty basic diagram, but still helpful. I got the most info using the diagram for the 1700.

There are two fused circuits on the tractor. One is a 15 amp circuit for lights, and the other is a 5 amp circuit that goes to the regulator and indicator light. Of course, I checked to make sure the fuses were good long ago, and they were still good today. HOWEVER, I decided to start poking around with a volt meter. I discovered 12 volts going into the fuse block, but only 8 volts coming out of the fuse block! I pulled them out and checked again… both fuses good. BUT, the little tabs holding the fuses had just a fine layer of oxidation and corrosion… just enough to let some voltage through… but not all! I got some sandpaper and shined up those tabs, tightened them a little with some pliers, and VOILA! We now have a charge from the alternator and the indicator light finally turned off!

If I notice any more issues with this, I will likely either purchase a new fuse block with fresh connections, or just install a couple of those spring-loaded inline fuse holders.

So if you’re charging system isn’t working on a Ford 1600/1700 series tractor, check that fuse block and make sure all the contacts are clean before spending money on parts. Only getting 8 volts to the regulator was killing it!

Just another example of how poor connections can cause problems!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.