View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had bad luck with solid state replacement regulators for old stuff that had mechanical relay regulators originally. Someone stole the regulator off my 69 Chrysler Newport, so I had to get a new one, and all the parts place had was these Taiwan solid state things... basically if the new regulator doesn't make good enough contact with ground through the mounting bolts, it fries...the original connections do not have a ground wire. Took a couple regulators to figure that out. Found some old style ones on ebay, and went back to original. When Chrysler went to SS regulators a couple years later, they changed the field winding set up in the alternators around to be work better with SS regulators. Lesson learned- less trouble to keep it original than re-engineer the car in ways its designers didn't intend.

Oxidized connections are the bane of anyone who has an old car in road salt territory. more then once Ive had weird issues that eventually were traced to bad grounds or excessive voltage drop (Chrysler bulkhead connectors especially!) Also had an air cooled VW with fuel injection-- one poor connection and you were on the side of the road polishing connections with an emery board to try to get it running..