View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

In my previous (two years ago) efforts, I tried switching the coils--someone had suggested the primary & secondary might be reversed on the schematic. I tried that without success, and errors in this long-used schematic are unlikely.

At this point, I haven't even tried the transmitter. I had been asked previously, "Does is oscillate?" I assume that means do I receive any kind of audible signal from the transmitter, and the answer is, "No, I have no audible signal."

Here's what I'm going to try, and I'm explaining this so any ridiculous errors will come out. I'm going to turn on my 1931 Airline and my Atwater Kent model 37, tune both to a quiet spot in the expected frequency range, and turn up the volume. I can receive local stations on those sets without an external antenna.

Then I'll plug the transmitter into a CD player with the volume turned up high, and I'll set the transmitter's potentiometer at mid-range. The receivers are 15 feet away from the transmitter. Phil's instructions say to DISCONNECT the transmitter antenna for this trial.

Here's a question that may seem silly, but it's important. When tuning the coil, where should the graphite core be in relation to the windings? Fully within the windings?

I try that the way it's set up now. If it doesn't work, I'll try reversing the coils.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens by tomorrow afternoon.