View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 02:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
As for variacs, capacitor checkers, etc. my question is why bother. I always replace all electrolytics, paper caps,
check every resistor before ever applying power the first time. More often than not I get good picture and sound on first power up and all that is needed further is alignment.
I also always install a complete set of the best grade NOS tubes in any set I restore.
Some may think this extreme, but the advantage is this: instead of spending a huge amount of time trying to sort out every issue one at a time I take care of them all at once. Also, I can fully expect the set will function well in daily use for years to come.
Just a thought,
Cheers
Not extreme, just meticulous. I got a Powerite about 3.5 years ago but that's mostly for isolation. If a few aged capacitors need replacing I'll swap out all of them with the highest-quality 105-degree electrolytics I can find. I don't check all resistors though, that would be a PITA in a SS set and likely unnecessary. If I had a tube set to restore I would likely follow your lead, considering that I like to be very thorough.

As for items that aren't just for electronic repair a good vise will come in handy. I recently picked up an old Record No. 5 locally for my own bench. I suppose one could get away with one of those "helping hands" units with the alligator clips but I wanted something more versatile.

Last edited by Jon A.; 11-11-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Audiokarma