Thread: CTC5 Pickup!
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
You will notice in the Deluxe chassis a high wattage power resistor dropper I recall either in the oscillator or chroma bandpass amp section. The power dissipation created a lot of heat which damaged the resistor it self and a coil. I repaired it by mounting a lower value resistor in its place to reduce the dissipation and mounted another power resistor elsewhere on the chassis in series to allow it to dissipate the bulk of the power without burning up anything around it.
You will see the resistor I am talking about. Check it is not open and if there are any charred components around it.
I'm pretty sure that's the one that went open on my set. I'll check the coil for continuity. The chassis above the resistor is definitely darkened. It's interesting the sams and rca service info differ on the value of the resistor and what B+ voltage is tapped. Sams has a 390V B+ to a 10k 7 watt resistor yet the RCA service has 300V B+ and 6.8k 7 watt. Mine had the 6.8k and I installed it closer to the chassis to help dissipate its heat better.

--
Matt Davala
Audiokarma