View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
<----Zenith C845

Back around 1975 or so, I had a Grundig model 2168 that I got from an old friend. The radio worked, but the cabinet was in bad shape; a corner was broken off the speaker mounting board, the dial scale and knobs were missing, the EM84 tuning eye was flopping around loose in the cabinet, and I think two of the three speakers were missing as well (there were two speaker grilles at either end of the cabinet). I replaced the missing knobs with two matching knobs I had in my junk box and made a wooden replacement for the glass dial scale, as well as replacing the FM dial drive with a length of plastic tubing attached to the tuner shaft, extending from a hole in the lower right side of the cabinet.

The condition of the cabinet and speaker mounting panel notwithstanding, however, I hooked up an old Webcor mono reel-to-reel tape deck to the 5-pin DIN connector at the rear of the chassis and wound up with a nice, albeit oldish, mono audio system (the Webcor RtoR tape recorder was from the 1950s and was a thrift-store find). Worked and sounded great as long as it lasted. I finally got rid of the Grundig in the early 1980s when the FM tuner quit. I should have kept it. That set probably would be a classic today; it was an example of fine German workmanship not seen in today's American electronics and appliances since the '50s-'60s or so.

BTW, is Grundig still around in Germany, making their own electronics under their own name, or did they outsource their manufacturing to some other country, so that the Grundig radios and such available today are simply rebadged Japanese or Korean-made junk that won't last more than a year or two, if that long?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.