View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like I should go get a mini glue gun for a few bucks next time I need to do this, unless someone finds a better source (or a better color).

I dipped them all in hot beeswax today. Here's the setup:

I bought a package of beeswax from Michaels. Full price is $17, so use one of their "50% off one item" coupons and you're in business. I cut off a piece about the size of a large bar of soap, and heated it in a kitty food can on a hot plate (the kitchen stove would also work; this stuff does not have a bad odor at all).

What I found worked best for a nice smooth coating of about the right thickness was the following:

1. Bend the wires "up" so that wax will run down them toward the capacitor body when you pull the cap out.

2. Holding buy one of the leads with a needlenose pliers, submerge the cap for about 15 seconds. This allows the wax to penetrate the paper just a little bit.

3. Pull the cap out quickly, and tilt downward to one side. Rub off a couple of drops quickly on the edge of the kitty food can.

4. Immediately submerge in water (that's what's in the small "pail" in the picture above). This prevents the wax from running, and also hardens the wax so you can set it down without it sticking to the surface.

Here's the end result:

I'm pretty happy with the results. The caps look "new" but I imagine their appearance will age gracefully over time. Coating with wax is definitely worth it if you want a nice appearance on the finished restuffed caps.

Tomorrow we'll put them back in the set and go after a few remaining minor electronics issues in the set.

Last edited by Tom Albrecht; 02-09-2017 at 01:38 AM.