View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
John Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
I definitely like the brown color for the glue sticks the best. I'll have to pick up some of those for my next set. I found that if I took a rag and wiped off the old caps with it before I took them apart I was left with a "seasoned" rag that I could use to sort of buff an aged appearance onto the newly wax dipped caps. It's going to the Nth degree obsessing over minute details but when you pay that much attention to the littlest of things your result is one fantastic set.
Tom- Thanks for sharing your pictures, it's like a bit of methadone for me as I wait to find a new house and set up my workshop again.
Just had a thought on how to get the seasoned look you described. Would it be possible to use some of the surface wax from a paper wrapped cap that one was intending to discard anyway from a different set and rub that on the surface of the recapped cap. I'm basically repeating what you've said but just adding that you could get the was from any old wax cap. I don't think the beeswax changes color due to heat. The darkening is due to the bits of other materials that float around under the chassis and just gets stuck in the warm wax over time. the word patina comes to mind.

Last edited by charokeeroad; 06-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.