View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

The restuffed caps are now all in place under the chassis. Take a look at the before and after pictures.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

At least one change is obvious -- the big 0.047 uF grey "Bumblebee" cap in the center has been replaced with a more normal looking paper cap. I don't think the Bumblebee was original, and those molded caps are not particularly amenable to restuffing.

Other than that, each cap is pretty much right back where it started, with the same orientation.

I've never paid much attention to how the manufacturers chose which end to use for the outside foil. In this set, it is obvious that RCA didn't care at all. Caps which have one side grounded often don't have the outside foil on the grounded end, even in critical places like the first audio amp. There is a cap from the grid to ground which has the outside foil on the grid end. Just goes to show that it never mattered much, and these days they don't bother to mark it.

The set is working pretty well, except for very weak audio. I traced the problem to a broken connection within the 6AT6 first audio amp socket. If I bridge the broken connection, the audio is loud and clear. I'll have to think a bit about how to repair that with the least cosmetic damage. I have plenty of identical replacement sockets, but I'm not too keen to remove the rivets and put the new socket in with screws. Maybe I'll break the old socket out in a way that preserves the rivets, and attach the new socket with well-hidden epoxy right around the old rivets. From the top, that should be undetectable.

Last edited by Tom Albrecht; 02-09-2017 at 01:45 AM.