View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
Perhaps, but I am not aware of any non bonded or non banded rectangle color tubes out there in sets as standard equipment. All the ones that has separate glass were that I can think of were roundies, which I think may have different mechanical qualities that the rectangles as far as likely implosion stresses.

I have seen some old BW tubes (rectangle) but IIRC the glass in front of them was some kind of tempered or other form of safety glass. I don't think the rectangle color tube glass has any special safety qualities other than to act as a part of a bonded system.

I don't think the use of silicone around the edge provides the same protection as the bonding. But I am not hear to argue the point, as its been discussed many times before. I also don't condemn the practice just saying I would be leary of selling one that way, too old to spend time in from of a civil jury trying to explain it.
I've busted the safety glass on both round and rectangular color CRTs and I can tell you the glass breaks the same way, and is almost certainly the same type/formula of glass.

I can understand your caution, but eventually that is something all of us will not be able afford as replacement CRTs dry up.

Any implosion with or without safety glass is going to throw glass out the front of the set. Members here have told stories of mid 50's sets with separate glass as well as color tubes with bonded glass spontaneously imploding and throwing glass out the front of the set. Any set even untouched factory originals have some chance of imploding spontaneously...In 99.99% of CRTs implosion is either an act of god or an act of the human(s) around the CRT when it goes off. The only way to 100% avoid it is to not own pre tension band era CRTs.... They way I see it if a CRT is no more dangerous than other models I have that are ~10-20 years older then it is plenty good enough.

I never let implosion (on completed sets) worry me...Hell, I've got a caulked rectangular tube within ~3' of my bed and am around it 6-24 hours a day every day except ~2 weeks of the year vacationing. I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than even mildly injured by an implosion from a de-catted CRT that is mounted in a TV....Implosion injury during the removal process however is a lot more likely than lightning especially RCA tubes that require heating.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 02-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Audiokarma