View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If the project is to be done entirely for its own sake as a historic/educational exercise, then even one or two working CRTs per month at amortized costs of $2000 each or more is fine. If the project is specifically planned from the start as a self-sufficient business, then the questions of what people are willing to spend (and how many customers may exist, even) are very worthwhile. Fifty CRTs at $150 each over one year would not have a chance at paying the bills.

I would expect (or hope) that the project will end up somewhere in between my two examples, if it does succeed: CRTs rebuilt at time and material costs, but with lots of volunteer work and/or donations as well.

Ultimately, the value of a new picture tube in a set depends heavily on the value or desirability of the set itself. $300 is a lot of money just to get a brighter picture in a typical late-1940s 10-inch RCA TV, but $500 to get a 21-CT-55 or Muntz 721CV working again is almost a no-brainer to me.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."