View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Hear! Hear!

My parents wouldn't watch "Two Broke Girls" in 4K, HD, SD, or on a 32 line mechanical set; they find it repulsive, period.
I am 60 years old (will be 61 in July) and have no use whatsoever for the newer TV shows (Two Broke Girls or any other), either. I watch the subchannels of channels 19 and 8 in Cleveland (MeTV and Antenna TV, respectively), plus my own collection of classic TV shows on DVD and VHS, as those are the shows I grew up with in the '60s-'70s. The only network programs I watch anymore are the NBC Nightly News and, on rare occasions, Dateline, on channel 3 in Cleveland.

The quality of today's network TV shows has gone right down the drain as far as I am concerned. Those shows wouldn't look any better in any of the newer formats than they look now. I am reminded of something I read in an old issue of, IIRC, the (now defunct) Electronics Illustrated magazine years ago, in its letters to the editor department, in which someone wondered what the violence on TV shows of that time (late sixties) would look like on a 50+-inch wall-mounted TV. The writer went on: "Heck, even a (TV) station (test) pattern (shown on a standard TV) will frighten our children!" There was a fictional cartoon picture near the letter of a baby in a playpen, with a large-screen TV on the wall. The set was showing a test pattern from a fictional TV station, "WNVI", bigger than life, and the baby was screaming its heart out, scared to death. I can remember (in fact, I will never forget) seeing a Conelrad test on TV when I was seven years old, in 1963. We had a 21-inch b&w Crosley TV at that time, and I was watching a program that had just gone to a commercial. The Conelrad test came on after that commercial; when I saw that huge Civil Defense logo on our 21-inch TV screen, I jumped up, scared out of my wits, and ran down the hall from our living room to the back of our house--that's how frightened I was. I was sure something awful or even horrible was about to happen.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-30-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Audiokarma