View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very helpful, though I had figured some of this out. I have yet to find ham activity with SSB, but was unsure which bands to try so maybe I will find something now.

I have yet to hear my Sync detection improve any AM broadcasts, but had read elsewhere that it wasn't particularly useful for most portables. Atop that was my uncertainty about what type of reception problems it is meant to help, which didn't help much.

You'd think such basic info could be quickly found with a browser search, but I didn't find that to be the case. At least now I know what to try.

I really like my Satellite, especially in conjunction with the little Kaito tuned loop.

My wife wants to give me the gift of an outdoor antenna for Christmas. One that will take care of my TV and FM needs. Finding someone to install it is proving problematic. I found one guy on CL who advertises that he installs antennas, but he came by to give me an estimate on a small TV antenna he puts in attics which "is good enough for FM." It became apparent that I know more about antennas than he does, and he knew nothing about grounding an outdoor model - he feels that a ground rod need only be driven a foot in the ground. Mainly he wanted to sell me a ROKU (and was disappointed that I already had one) which he calls a "turn-key solution" for reception issues.

I still haven't chosen an antenna, but want a Yagi with rotor, and it's coming out of the wife's money, so that is cool. She just wants me to go ahead and get a good one. She also wants it to work for AM and SW, and I explained that would be a separate antenna. She said get whoever does it to install that, too. Any suggestions?

Looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BSGCSA...PWIVQYHA&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ITPQOG...OFCY9NDW&psc=1

Last edited by musichal; 11-14-2016 at 10:35 PM.