Thread: K-cars
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
It had its quirks, to be sure. It resisted every single attempt I made to upgrade the stock AM/FM stereo (installed a 'Infinity I' cassette stereo, and got nothing out of the speakers; tried using a later version AM/FM/cassette head unit, but the brackets didn't line up correctly).
The Infinity almost certainly required an amplifier, which you didn't have. Then you got a radio from a Sebring/Stratus, the only cars that used a different bracket setup, but identical other than the brackets and the orange display.

Quote:
Even the infamous "A-Sick-Oh-Four" 4spd automatic just kept on going, apart from one time it glitched and got stuck in "limp home mode" (wouldn't shift higher than 2nd gear, which made highway driving "interesting".....).
Not surprising. For all the shit people give it, as an actual certified transmission mechanic myself, I can tell you that they're pretty hardy little things. My favorite transmission actually. It's a breeze to work on, and it's so simple, there's almost nothing to go wrong with it. Also, you'd be surprised just how often limp mode was triggered by a corroded battery termimal.

Quote:
a 1996 Chrysler Concorde that was handed down to me. Looked sleek, and had all sorts of bells and whistles, but had more reliability issues than Carter had liver pills. Dead transmission (before I started driving it), overheating issues, stalling issues, and culminated with the entire rear suspension collapsing as I pulled away from a stoplight. Should've just stuck with the Spirit.
Maybe you just got a lemon dude. My 94 Concorde got T boned by a utility truck, and kept going. It went and went, literally the only time I ever had to have it towed was after it was hit. The transmission is literally the same A604, just twisted around to fit the other way. And mine NEVER overheated, it was the most temp-stable car I've ever had. Then again, I had the 3.3L, maybe you got the 3.5L, they were new for the LH cars, and did have some problems. Legit the 93 model ones would spontaneously combust. Fuel rail problems.