View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been tempted to get a Model A myself; I've seen a "driver" quality car for around $6500. There are quite a few hidden away-there are probably a half-dozen around our small town. Very simply built with good aftermarket support.

fixmeplease, I've read quite a bit on the non-detergent/detergent conversion and I'm still undecided. Some report making the switch caused oil pressure crash, or oil burning/leaking. Others had no trouble at all or even saw oil consumption decrease. I did have one car from the "fill up the oil and check the gas" school. I finally switched because non-detergent is so expensive; I think at NAPA it's higher than Mobil 1, per quart. I didn't really see any difference at all, good or bad, on that car. It's very tempting to make the switch to a decent 10w30 for my next change. I know that the mere mention of that to some "old-timers" makes them grumble.

For a couple years I was using Kendall 20w20 non-detergent. The stuff was crystal clear! That's what FoMoCo called for in the manual, but it's obsolete now. The only 20w I can find now is el Cheapo stuff for compressors & such, so back to NAPA 30w. I just want to do what's best for a great running engine. 60-70 lbs pressure on the highway.