View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, an A model has a manual gearbox. Automatics really weren't available til right before the War, & in America, they weren't available in cheaper cars til the start of the Fifties. It was 1951 when you could finally get a 2 speed auto in Fords & Chevys-"Powerglide" in Chevy, & Ford-O-Matic in Fords. I think it was even later in Chryslers. My parents had a '51 Chevy w/Powerglide, my mom learned how to drive in it. My dad said you could NOT make that car slide, even on glare ice, the Powerglide had so much slip in it. But my Mom did manage to get arrested in it-for going 19 MPH thru the enlisted Men's barracks area, where the speed limit was 17 ! The Judge Advocate General & my dad were buds-Dad told him to REALLY give my Mom "The Business"... They hauled her into this courtroom, the Judge was WAY above her, squinting down on her, & from what Henry told me, they REALLY read her the Riot Act... She figured she was gonna be stood up against the wall & SHOT or something... I think all that happened was they fussed at her, scared the Shit outta her, & fined her 3 dollars... I heard about it all a good 25 years later, & Mama was still pretty fuzzed up about it all, even if me, Henry & anyone else who was around were just laughing our butts off.. But, Mama , to the best of my knowledge, NEVER, EVER got pulled over again...On the Army base, or any time after that...