View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, there is ANOTHER thing about an A model that would give today's drivers pause-the "Mule Ears" right under the steering wheel. Its been a long time since I piloted an A-Bone, but one of 'em, I think was a throttle, & the other was a spark advance/retard control. It sounds all complicated & confusing, but in actuality, most of us could likely figure it out within a trip or 2 around the block of yr home street.. There is a moderately long, moderately high hill outside of town, & a couple "Old Timers" told me when I was a kid, that it had to be a STRONG Model A that could pull that hill in high, with both the "Ears" pulled back... That was the thing...Most of the motors in cars , prewar, & for awhile after, had plenty of power, but you had to know how to get it OUT of them. Hence, that was why, especially after the war, a huge industry grew & thrived about "Hopping up" cars. Fords were the prime beneficiaries, as they were popular, & maybe had the greatest amount of untapped potential, but there were quite a few tricks that could be done to & for Chevys, as well.