View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 01:40 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Yes I'll have to do a full alignment on this. I tweaked the 1st video IF coil and that got rid of the waviness. It has a very good picture now. The issue is the misalignment, or the lack of being in the same place on the dial for sound and picture. Looking at the Crosley schematic right now and I see what you are talking about with the "split".
Penthode will probably strongly dislike the following, but here goes...

That Crosley is basically a paired down Dumont RA-103. I've had several RA-103 sets and sound was out to lunch on most of them (completely out of range of any video). Lacking any equipment for sweeping the old 21MHz IF what I did was tune in good sound, adjust fine tuning towards the video to the edge of distinct sound, peak the sound IF by ear, walk the tuning towards video some more and repeat until I have best sound at the point where on a Philips PM5544 test pattern video looks best (the multi burst pattern and chroma dot crawl on the color patterns as well as lack of ringing on the center crosshatch make best video easy to determine).

It's not the "RIGHT" way to do it but it does work well enough that if all 4 of the RA-103s I have fixed were in a room running none of you would be able to guess which one still has its original alignment working undisturbed.

You can choose any method you want on your TV. I'm just explaining what I do with what I have.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4