View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
High end DVD setups in the 1990s did indeed use component video, and it made quite a visible difference in terms of picture quality. I think DVD video was designed not just for home use, but also for higher end setups using video projectors. My own home theatre is from 2000, and it has a Runco projector, which accepts component video. Switching between composite and component video makes a big difference in terms of picture quality. Also, don't forget the S-video connectors which were very very common on 1990s consumer gear. About any TV sold with a DVD player would have accepted S-video if not component, and this was sort of half way there.

DVD was the first consumer video format which had superior image quality to 16mm film, so it was also used with projectors in educational and institutional settings, where the highest possible resolution was very beneficial.
S-Video separates the luma and the chroma, but you're still limited to ~330 lines luma resolution, and the chroma resolution is still constrained with S-Video. Even S-Video doesn't live up to the full potential of the DVD standard.

Perhaps ignorance on the part of consumers played a role? I know my parents had a 40 inch Trinitron with component in, but never the component inputs. My father used the composite video cable that came with the first DVD player he bought around 2001 or 2002.