View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
You fellers need to invest in a Zenith Trans-Oceanic...Or 2. You get one, most people ain't satisfied w/just one, be it a Tube or Soiled-State-either version. Zenith KNEW how to make a good radio, & the T/O was sort of their "Brag Piece". But oncet you get into Angel Modulation in a BIG way, yr ONLY recourse will be an R-390A. Winter DX season will be here before you know it, but PLENTY of time to score an R-390A, set up an Antenna, & get All Set for an exciting DX season..
I've got three of the tube transoceanics, 2 of them using the 7 pin mini tubes (1 needs a lytic wiring mistake fixed to work properly), and one using loctals. I also have got the red Halicrafters tube TO clone working.

When I want to seriously listen to SW and Ham radio I use a Sony ICF-SW7600GR (I prefer digital tuning so I can dial in to a new frequency if a station says it's about to change frequencies)....It is good with it's internal antenna, but connect it to a good long-wire antenna and it will blow away just about anything.

As for the quality of early Zenith SS radios it is not about cheapness (though once the cheap jap imports killed domestic SS radio manufacture that became a major factor) Zenith always wanted to make the BEST consumer radios and TVs for DX'ing/fringe reception, and that goal made it into most all American made Zenith products, and some of their foreign made products too.

I'm solidly outside of that station's FM coverage area 99% of the time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4