View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
I was surprised enough to pull the replacement all-glass picture tube out of a television, in order to compare it with the original metal-glass one:

I remember that I hadn't faced any difficulties with the replacement a few years ago. I only had to rework the HV supply gear, and change the base. The cone of the glass tube is just more plumpy but its height is the same, so it fits the original hardware pretty well:

Maybe, the difference is in that my glass CRT is the official replacement for the metal-glass one. What was about American glass CRTs? Were some of them designed as the direct substitutes for obsolete metal tubes, or were they all just newer tubes which had to be used as replacements?

Crist Rigott, you're making good progress on the restoration! Hope to see a picture on the screen soon!
Most compatible metal and glass types in the states were made concurrently or within a 1-3 years of each other... Some metal tubes were directly competing with glass all their lives.

Here in the US metal tubes were only popular in monochrome sets from around 1950 to around 1953.... color CRTs were in development during that time and the metal ones lent themselves best to installation of the shadow mask so when color was standardized in 1953 and into around 1956 (though some Motorola's stuck with metal into the early 60's) metal color tubes were made.

The metal tubes seem more prone to leak and fill with air... Even tubes with just a metal evacuation stem are more prone than ones with glass evacuation stems.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4