View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Dead from the neck up

The webmaster of that site also doesn't answer emails. I found that site a while back.

Even our beloved old Zenith sets konked out occasionally. Remember the days of "take it where you bought it?" We did take our first color set where we bought it (and water tank too) and regretted it. Our first color set was an Airline (Montgomery Ward). It was purchased by my father in time for the Watergate hearings. Anyway, they called Wards when it first needed repair and they screwed it up more. They then called an independant (Mr.Y.), who was our repairman ever since, before I started fixing the sets.

To give you an idea how bad Wards was, here's something i heard about my grandparents' first color set (also an Airline).
I heard that the Wards tech decided they needed a new picture tube (I think under warranty). The tech replaced the CRT right in their living room. Anyway, the same guy that screwed up the TV also screwed up the water tank (also long gone).

The webmaster of that site seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He could have won his battle with the instant on and had a set that was unreliable, especially if the hack repairmen they used worked on it. Four trips out to replace a light bulb should have been a clue to use someone else.

Anyway, his beef with the real Zenith makes me appreciate mine even more.