View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the width pot is the one with the green wire and the brown half a lamp cord wire to chassis, and you judged it with your eyes instead of a multimeter then you may find that it still works...That one seems to use black plastic to hold the resistance material and terminals (instead of the brown phenolic of the other pots) and is likely still just fine.

The yoke is not so much charcoal as disintegrated plastic. The early plastics used for the outer shells on most yokes before the mid 60's were very unstable and will rot away on their own...This even happens to unused mint in box NOS specimens.

The windings and important core parts look fine and are probably still safe and functional. The shell can be recreated with a little effort with modern plastics. The part that usually rots away only acts as a mount for terminals as well as a guard to make it difficult for a service tech to accidentally grab those terminals with the set running (it also is supposed to be the grab handle to adjust the yoke).
You want to avoid touching the yoke terminals if the set is powered on...The meanest shock I've ever gotten from a TV set was a CTC-15 clone that I touched a portion of the yoke winding where the insulation was bad...That is the only time I can remember my 'let go of this' reflex kicking in full strength...
I measured the component out of circuit and it will need to be replaced as the carbon track is ruined.