View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
These are great fun!

I have always wondered why they don’t seem to be more popular among radio collectors. I’m guessing that many are avoided because of the batteries, but it is really easy to make a workable battery pack, and with more effort, duplicate the appearance of the original pack.

Could you post a picture of the Motorola “turned on”, so that we might see the dial markings after the dial changes?

jr
They are fun and, as I mentioned, will surprise you how good they play. I was a collector who ignored these for years too. I always thought they were too utilitarian looking with the mesh grills, handles, and unlit dial. As whenever you go outside your area of focus in the hobby, you soon get hooked! I did that a while back with '20's sets too.
I don't concern myself with the look of the batteries. A single "D" and a series of 10 9V's is easy to tuck into the back of these early sets. With limited collector use, the batteries last for a good long time.
Here's the Motorola turned-on with the "Batteries Off" plate out of the way. It's really cool how it springs back and forth!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00880.jpg (66.6 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Celt; 12-02-2018 at 05:28 PM.