View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 05:58 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffhs
Very nice! Yours is the first Blaupunkt Sultan receiver I've seen, and I've been messing around with electronics most of my life. The front panel looks very good, all lit up like yours is, but I wonder about that stain on the speaker grille cloth. Is that simply dirt, or, Heaven forbid, was there a fire inside the set at one time?
Just curious.

BTW, how is your radio reception where you are? Do you get many U. S. broadcast or FM stations, or is it mostly confined to Bermuda? How about TV? Do you get any of our U. S. networks there, on cable or otherwise? I know you guys have at least two VHF TV stations, one a CBS affiliate, the other NBC, but I'm curious if you get American cable networks like CNN, ESPN, etc. as well (in addition to ABC, The WB, UPN or PBS). Canadian cable television is banned from carrying American TV stations; was wondering if Bermuda's cable systems, if any, are like that too.

Kind regards,
Hi jeffhs! The stain appears to be a burn mark, but I believe from a cigarette - and external source. I hope so anyway

As for local radio, unfortunately it does pick them up quite well. So I can listen to de "grass roots" types blathering on on David Lopes' show about how de gummint has to kick out all de bleddy foreigners, etc. etc., or listen to truly horrible "urban contemporary" (read: rap) music on the FM channels. The only bright spot is Peter Lewis on Mix 106 in the morning and the BBC news channel rebroadcast on an AM station 24 hours, but that gets a bit old after a while.

The real fun is the SW bands - I'm having a great time listening to them; amazing what goes on in the wild wild west of radio

It's only physical problem seems to be that the tuning dial cord is slipping horribly, so I really have to struggle to tune a station, and getting to the mechanism looks to be a monster job. Built bomb-proof! (not complaining about that - lovely quality!)

Cheers