View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I just don't see a problem. I definitely want letterbox so I can see the entire movie as the Director intended me to see it, to cite Dave's example of Lawrance of Arabia. The only way one could view Lawarance of Arabia without letterbox is if one purchased a 21x9 aspect ratio monitor/TV.

On "old" 4x3 TV's, ME TV will look okay, but today's 16x9 telecasts will be cut off (missing part of the image) unless one sets the TV to letterbox.

I do understand the undersiable look of watching letterbox on a 4x3 set and the possible burn in on CRT sets. Just reset the aspect ratio on the converter box, but understand you won't see the entire image.

Before the DVD and BluRay was invented, the state of the art was LaserDisk championed by Pioneer. That format gave us the best image and sound with rock steady freeze frame. We demanded letterbox on our LaserDisks because of the expense of the disks and we began watching on projection television. The movie studios complied, there was a big demand for letterbox LaserDisks.

Last edited by etype2; 02-12-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Typo