View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 01:39 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have a ClearTV digital antenna and a Zenith all-channel amplified antenna. They work after a fashion, receiving most local stations, but neither antenna receives channels 8 or 19 from Cleveland (local Fox/Antenna TV and CBS/MeTV affiliates, respectively). I have cable and a Roku player to receive the local TV channels, including the ones my antennas do not receive. I am located about 35-40 miles from the TV stations' towers, which themselves are in the southwestern Cleveland suburb of Parma. There are no obstructions, that I am aware of anyway, between the stations and my TV antenna.

I have been told that the reason I do not get channels 8 or 19 at all in digital is due to the fact that these stations currently transmit on RF DTV channels 8 and 10, which most indoor DTV antennas do not receive well; however, the CBS affiliate may and probably will move to a UHF channel once the DTV repack and everything else are completed, hopefully early next year. The CBS station already has a translator on channel 24, but that translator serves an area about 60 miles south of me and, therefore, does not reach my small town. I don't know why this problem wasn't addressed and corrected a lot sooner (shortly after the DTV transition), as there are many people in this part of northeastern Ohio with the same problems receiving channels 8 and 19 as I have. One other reason I cannot get the two channels I mentioned is that I live on the first floor of a two-story apartment building, and cannot use any kind of outdoor antenna.

Oh, well. Perhaps if and when channel 19 finally vacates its VHF DTV channel and moves to a UHF one (this move actually is in their plans, but to date I haven't heard or read anything regarding exactly when it will occur; probably, maybe even likely, it hinges on next year's DTV channel repack), my reception problems will be solved, and I will be able to use an indoor antenna again.

We can only hope.

BTW, VK member Old_TV_Nut in Arizona has the best of all worlds as far as TV reception is concerned, having a direct line-of-sight to the TV stations in Tucson, 33 miles distant. I guess that's one advantage of living in a flat area like that; no obstructions and, I would guess, very good reception from all the "local" channels. Here in the Great Lakes region where I live, we aren't that lucky. Receiving TV signals from a 33-mile distance may not seem that much in the West and Southwest, but here I am trying to receive TV stations that might well have restricted signal patterns. However, the Cleveland stations are supposed to cover seventeen counties in northeastern Ohio. I have a feeling that the only way anyone some distance from these stations will have to use a large antenna on a tower, and perhaps a rotor, to receive all seven stations. I remember years ago (in the late 1960s and seventies) seeing just such large antenna towers in an area 55 miles from Cleveland (I went to summer camp there as a kid), but these days with cable and all this type of elaborate antenna system may be all but obsolete.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-27-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Audiokarma