View Single Post
Old 09-30-2023, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Honestly, if I repaired that TV I wouldn't have given the bow a second glance. It looks within the expected geometry of a TV that has no active pincussion circuitry. Only a change in the deflection yoke design would change the geometry.

At the time that TV was made, all the images viewed on it would have been full screen and that hard border would have been overscanned out of view. Only a TV program that showed a (for instance) doorway on one side or the other would have been noticed (and how long would that door have been in the shot?) or if it was connected to a video game with fixed sides.

I do remember getting some complaints on geometry when Pong first started selling. On typical live video that most people would be using the TV for, most people simply didn't notice.

For capacitors approaching .5uf (500nf) that are not electrolytics, plasma sustain boards are a gold mine. I have several poly types that are over 5uf at 200V or so. Sustain boards need higher value capacitors that have the low ESR of plastic caps, so they don't use electrolytics for coupling.

If you run into a dead end, let me know.

John