View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, now that I finally found one of these they are coming out of the woodwork! I recently purchased one from a member here in "working condition." After I got it and had time to gather some information on proper use etc. I have found that it does indeed work, sort of; which is the case with most unrestored vintage gear.

The main problem I have found is that the value measurement is off. I haven't tested a ton of caps, but smaller ones like a .1 are not so bad, but still very wrong. The extended range for electrolytics is WAY off. Power factor doesn't really do anything but make the shadow smaller, so I keep it all the way down to zero (but not off for electrolytic).

So, I get some use out of the thing as the leakage voltages are working although all are a little low, but not too bad. I really didn't want to do a restoration on a working unit, but that's just the way it goes with what we do. At least there are others here messing with them and there isn't really a lot to replace inside. A lesson in impulse buying....