View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 12:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, the question about whether or not the 1R5 can be substituted for the converter has been answered, as a previous owner has done exactly that (I do have a 1L6 ready for use if the rest of the set works well).

This radio may be newer that I had thought. Four of the tubes are branded "Wards Airline" and two of them carry the codes "62-09 188-5" (Early March 1962, Ken-Rad). Interestingly, Sonora had gone out of business in 1956, so I wonder if someone else took up production of the same model to supply Ward's.

The radio seems to be put together well enough. Unlike the Zenith Trans-Oceanics, this radio has shields over the tubes (except the 3V4 audio out), which connect to chassis via flanges surrounding the tubes.

While the non-bandspread tuning is generally considered a handicap, I can "tune by ear" fairly well and I should have access to the 22m (13 MHz) band.

I have found some other radios that appear to be "clones", so it may be possible to find the battery pinout in other Sam's folders:
344-6
356-11
417-4

Guess I might make a trip to the library.