View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Most stations may have switched to UHF digital channels, but there are a few holdouts. For example, in my area, channels 3 (NBC) and 5 (ABC) are on UHF digital assignments but the DTV channel for CBS channel 19 in this area is actually VHF channel 10. Moreover, channel 8, the FOX affiliate here, is still on a VHF digital channel but will eventually move to, IIRC, channel 31, if I am to believe what I have been reading lately on Ohio Media Watch. Channel 19 has no plans that I am aware of to move its DTV assignment to UHF, although since this area is close to Lake Erie and a Canadian TV station on channel 10, the Cleveland station might well interfere with the latter, even though Canada's DTV transition is complete.

I am surprised channel 19 did not either stay on its original channel position (or else move to another UHF channel) after the transition. It would have made more sense for this station to have remained on 19, as did a station 60 miles south of here on channel 23. The latter, the ION television network affiliate for this area, was able to remain on 23 even after the DTV switch. I don't know how it is possible for a television station to switch from analog NTSC to ATSC digital while remaining on the same RF channel, but somehow 23 did it.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.