View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Jeff-

Maybe that station went from NTSC channel 23 to "pretend" 23 (but actually on another UHF channel) when it was first in digital, especially if it kept its analog signal on the air until 2009 as most stations did. Then, when the NTSC was shut off, the digital signal could have been moved to true channel 23. Two of the stations here in the S.F. Bay Area did this, so their signals are now really on the numbers they use (channels 7 and 36).
Actually, Chris, the technical term for what channel 23 did is "flash cut" from analog to digital, remaining on the same RF channel, but I'm not very familiar with the technique. Digital TV technology is very new to me, since I learned everything I know today about TV in the '60s and '70s -- when NTSC analog TV was still the standard of choice for U. S. and Canadian telecasting. I am familiar with such things as streaming video over the Internet (I sometimes watch the national evening news online if I happen to miss it on TV), but I have a lot to learn about digital television. Fortunately, there is a wealth of information on that very subject right here at VK (and elsewhere on the Internet), so you can be sure I'll be reading everything I can get my hands on regarding DTV and related subjects. I enjoyed watching NTSC TV but times have changed, so it's time to upgrade my knowledge for the DTV era. I also enjoyed working on NTSC television sets, but since everything now is solid state, surface-mounted components and so forth, not to mention no more CRTs, it is time to move on. I'm still getting used to the idea, for example, of my flat-screen TV being devoid of a kilovolt-level high-voltage system, as was used in NTSC sets; I still expect to see the hairs on my arms stand up when I walk past my set when it is on. Again, I am very glad and thankful that there is so very much good information here on ATSC digital TV, and, thanks to VK moderator Tim (Kamakiri), even a separate forum (Flat Panels and Digital Formats) in which to discuss this new technology. That forum is an idea whose time has come, and which brings Videokarma into the 21st century.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.