View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I think you probably nailed it there old-coot88. But I was sort of hoping we could at least fire up the dim bulb tester, maybe get a few voltage measurements. At least for me, most of the fun is learning how to walk through the circuit and do some basic DC troubleshooting. But I also understand that time is money.
For me, it's difficult because I've never had any formal electronics training whatsoever. Heck, I've never even had the benefit of someone in person walking me through a set step by step. It was just something that I wanted to do ever since I was a boy, so I pick it up as I go and have been doing that for the last decade or so.

I've restored close to 100 sets over the years, but every one of them was done by either recapping and getting lucky, or working through electronic principles and developing a rudimentary understanding of how things work along with problems associated with different circuits and how to resolve them.

I can recap a 630 chassis in 2-3 weeks, and my work is very precise. Hands, I've got. Diagnostic skills, not so much. Doesn't stop me from trying and learning though.