View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

I'm perplexed on this whole sticky shed thing. Was there some formulation change in the binders at some point? Reason I ask is I have hundreds of open reels that I made during my days as a broadcast student from 1984 to 1987 and they're all scotch 290 from bulk pancakes. I don't know the actual production of these as they were stacked floor to ceiling in storage but I suspect late 70's given the station history. McCurrdy consoles, Revox PR99MkII's Technics SP-10 tables. So far I've not had one shed anything in my 4010S or issues with any of my Betacam tapes some of which date back to the late 80's under the Sony brand. I do have one 3600ft EIAJ Karex Silverchrome tape but no machine to run it on, just unspooling a few feet and it *looks alright*... a tape I made in middle school I'm not too eager to look at. I also have numerous audio tapes be it Maxell, Memorex and FUJI from that era and so far they play fine, question is what is doomed in the near future?
I recently acquired a one-inch Sony BVH2000 type-c VTR and 50-some tapes that come out of the old CONUS news center, the newest tape is of the 9/11 WTC attack and there are numerous "fresh" rolls in the batch from Sony, 3M and AMPEX-296's still in the bags. If you're not familiar with the type-c format it runs a 5.25" dia head drum at 3600 RPM with a 346 degree wrap to make a 1008 IPS writing speed, a sticking tape is going to make a real mess fast. (see my post below this topic)
Is there some point where the tapes are going to go to s**t regardless of care & environment?

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 09-27-2023 at 07:30 PM. Reason: autopost error