View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

1960 Telefunken Stereo changer

I salvaged this from an unfortunate Telefunken Dominante console. It is a TW-501 changer.

The changer had been in my garage shed for a couple of years and when cleaning it out got the Telefunken changer out, deciding to try to get it working.

After scrubbing the green platter mat with comet I used spray adhesive to remount the patter mat, taking care to get it centered.

I mounted some MCM legs on it so I can observe the action

I pulled the changer apart and re-lubed it nice. The idler wheel responded pretty good to some re-grip treatment but it is cracked and is noisy so I ordered one from Gary at VoM

It no longer stalls and cycles pretty good.

Heres the thing:
It has a Sonotone 8T cartridge.
It is a ceramic cartridge but plugging it into a line-level input sounded weak and wrong, but plugging this Sonotone 8T cart and stylus into the mag phono input sounds good and correct, except for the rumble of the idle wheel. So reading up on the Sonotone 8T it said that the later 8T's has output matching magnetic cartridge outputs

I have the manual from uhhh downloaded

Does anyone have experience with this changer? I would like to have someone else who has one if I need some photo or detail

Plus any expert on this table would be double plus good

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Telefunken TW-501.jpg (60.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02709.jpg (76.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02707.jpg (69.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02712.jpg (41.4 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by omegaman; 05-24-2014 at 01:11 PM.