View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Back when sophisticated electronics was teamed with designer furniture. Unlike the stuff made today, plastic, MDF, etc. A real work of art, a classic!
That's why those big entertainment center cabinets for flat screens became so popular; some folks, myself included, don't care for the generic design of today's flat screens. (I put mine on an old wood-look utility cart, with my DVD and VCR below it; looks a lot better, IMO, than just the TV sitting by itself on a table.) We may not be able to get new TVs in fine wood cabinets anymore, but I think the EC cabinets make up for that.

As for the quality of the electronics, well...that's another story. I've seen pictures of the innards of today's flat screens, and am amazed. There are usually no more than three PC boards plus the display panel inside most sets these days, so most of the little space in the cabinet is empty, not unlike the last Zenith color consoles of the late '90s and early 21st century. In those sets very nearly the entire TV, except the CRT, speaker and tuner, was on one small PC board. The rest of the cabinet was empty. I remember someone in this forum stating that some console TVs were very light; that person may well have been referring to these last-gasp Zenith consoles. I seriously doubt that the cabinets of those Zeniths were real wood, either; they were probably particle board covered in woodgrain vinyl, not unlike some antique radios which had cabinets covered in what was called "photo finish". Zenith radios were often housed in this type of cabinet, which surprised me since I always knew those early Zeniths, from the now-antique radios to their televisions up to about the '90s, were quality instruments; in those days, Zenith had a slogan, "The quality goes in before the name goes on". These days, since Zenith left Chicago for Korea, it's more like "The quality fell off the boat on the way to Korea." I sincerely believe that, considering the poor quality of today's "Zenith" branded flat-screen televisions made before the company went out of business for good. Good grief, those new sets didn't even deserve to have the Zenith name (or their trademark lightning bolt Z) shown below the display!

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma