View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 03:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

My TV Chassis has developed a magnetic personality!

Referring back to my RCA 8PT, it seems that the chassis has developed a magnetic charge and is interfering with the brightness when set is reassembled.

After adjusting the ion trap for max brightness, the raster looks fine. Then, I'll put the CRT neck shield on and/or put the back portion of the chassis back together, over the CRT neck. When I power the set back up, however, the raster then becomes very dim.

I can reproduce this phenomena by passing its steel neck shield next to the neck while the set is on (the screen goes dim) or when I leave the neck shield off and pass the neck through the hole in the rear of the chassis (where it needs to be when set is reassembled.

I'm guessing the chassis and neck shield have become magnetized and are interfering with the ion trap magnetic field. Could this have happened because I often discharge the CRT to the chassis?

What does one do in this circumstance? Pass a degaussing wand or loop over the metal parts? Is there an alternative way to deal with this problem? I don't currently have degaussing equipment.

I heard passing a running drill motor over the parts may degauss, but I have no idea.

Thanks in advance...