View Single Post
Old 12-18-2023, 01:08 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Yes just about every house round here has a UHF yagi or log periodic on the roof. (except my house, I have a UHF yagi in the loft) In October I went on a cruise to Rotterdam in Netherlands & Cork in Ireland: In Rotterdam I didn't see a single TV antenna at all so presume they're all on cable. In Cork I saw a few UHF antennas like in England & also Satellite dish's.

Mind you the loft antenna doesn't seem to be working after a lightning strike a few weeks ago that tripped the main circuit breaker, blew the internet modem/wi-fi box, blew two landline phones, broke a paving slab in two & melted & burnt an out door string of lights. We also have cable TV & that wasn't affected. Can get glitchy terrestrial digital reception by putting a piece of wire in TV antenna socket so know the TV is OK. Will have to buy/scrounge some co-ax & rewire my antenna, when I can be bothered that is...
A lot of antennas here are 300 ohm balanced and use a balun to convert to 75 ohm unbalanced coax. Those baluns use very fine wire and are usually the weak link in a lightning strike...If you have a balun that would be the first thing I would replace unless the coax is visibly damaged.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4