View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
The markings on the right, at the top is BC, which means broadcast, and under that is the wavelength in meters. Wavelength is inversely related to frequency, and is commonly used in short wave and amateur radio.

As for parts count, there isn't really any reason to change all the resistors, and you can use cheaper capacitors. That's a really cool radio and it would be nice to see it work, but I agree without any use for it it's a tough sell.
Blame it on my OCD maybe but I avoid cheaping out like the plague. Besides, the parts cost from Mouser, shipping included is about a quarter of what would be needed to restore this radio. Who knows, whenever I can afford it I may grab the parts that don't have a best before date as I never know when they'll run out or be discontinued, then just grab the supplies when I can. It has only seven electrolytics, four of them in two-section cans.

Soon enough I'll clean the crud off the front of the dial glass (I won't attempt the back) and take it to where I can scan it, just in case. I'll scan the original documentation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
May not be any daytime AM, but there should be some decent stations at night....I've regularly been able to tune AM stations from better than half way across the continent at night.
I don't know what to expect with short wave up there, but if somewhat close to the east coast there should be plenty of European stations.
I can pull in weak nighttime signals with my Philco-Ford stereos from a couple of AM stations in the US, one 1010 WIN in NY. That's how I first heard that Osama Bin Laden had the biscuit.