View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Hello everyone, yesterday afternoon (Sept. 30) I had picked up at a local flea market a 1970s vintage Soundesign AM/FM Clock Radio and when I got it home to test it out I noticed the red LED clock display has several dead segments which I have not seen anything like that before on an LED Clock Display before.

I am wondering if that might be caused by some bad capacitors or resistors or both on the clock's driver board?

Is this something that any of you guys on here have encountered before? If so how common is this issue, usually I've ran into issues where either the display works or the display is completely dead but never where the display is partially working (has some dead segments.)
The model number of the unit in question is Model 3643, which with a search of google nothing comes up, which tells me that it must not of been a very popular model. I have the unit torn down currently other wise I would of posted a picture of the unit.

I appreciate your help.
Is possible to have open LED segments. I have ssen it before (yes, is uncommon). Unfortunately, if is not a bad external soldering, solution is sub it.
Good is to have a "strong" multimeter with plenty of current at diode scale, so you can "sweep" the meter at display terminals; is good to have schematic or know the display, to avoid endless combinations for measuring.

Eventually, the IC driver have some damage, but then same segments at all numbers are off at same time (if multiplexed, like 99% of commercial clocks).

Finally, some clocks have a IC internally to a complete display, so, in this case, only subbing it to solve...