View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I bet the DTV carriers didnt ever come in strong enough to properly see them do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I bet the DTV carriers didnt ever come in strong enough to properly see them do they?
Sometimes yes, but not like the old days. Several times a year, I get solid lock on WMBC DT-18 in Montclair, NJ. that's 140 miles away but its also 1000 kW ERP.

My CM DT7000 set top box has scanned in two VHF channel 7's just weak enough they don't lock in. WBNG in Binghamton and WJLA in Washington DC.

The wackiest reception I recall on TV was in the mid 1970s, late summer - like now. I was fooling around in the yard with a smaller VHF log-periodic JFD LPV-6 and a 1963 GE 19" BW in the yard one day, I got channel 2 which I thought nothing of since we were 75 miles from WMAR in Baltimore. Then I noticed it was PBS, WPBT from Miami!

Sometimes channel 3, (now WFSB) in Hartford Connecticut would stomp out KYW - a solid local from Philadelphia, no small feat! The antenna was aimed 60 degrees AWAY from it.

Once, I saw WGAL 8 Lancaster, via cable about 60 miles upstate, one of the few "local" channels in that area, then WTNH-8 from New Haven Connecticut cut in with the familiar white lines and co-channel beat screeching in the sound.

I miss watching our 1971 Zenith console those summer mornings and evenings after a storm rolled through when you could get ALL the NYC channels 2-4-5-7-9-11-13, rotate the mid-sized JFD LPV about 180 - degrees and get 4-5-7-9 from DC along with the usual channels from Philly, Baltimore and Lancaster. After that, having cable when I moved away did not seem very epic.