View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 06:31 PM
On Land

Re: Found a couple of radios today

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy
Hey all you radio guys can you indentify these two radios. One says Trav-Ler 5002. I think its Bakelite. How does one clean Bakelite?

Grumpy
I have cleaned several Bakelite sets with car wax... not just regular wax... the cleaner-wax. Mequiar's in the red bottle is usually what I use. It takes off the grime really good and puts a great shine on it. If it is pretty grungy, you might have to apply and wipe off twice and then hand buff it with a soft rag. You might want to have an old soft toothbrush on hand to clean any left over wax out of the corners where you cant get the rag.

I don't know if anyone else uses that, but I have for a few years now and I always get great results! Sometimes I use it on plastic as well.

Recently, I re-capped an old RCA for a friend. It was pretty dirty, so I put some Mequiar's on it after I finished the electrics. It made a MAJOR difference for the set! When my friend came to pick it up, he couldn't believe it was his set.

Of course, if you try it, always start somewhere like the bottom of the cabinet first to see what your results will be. I think you will be satisfied!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.