View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks.

I actually was a very responsible kid when it came to tube radios (Newer SS gear though I often bought just for the fun of dismantling)... I was probably around 4-6 when I got my first tube radio and most were kept well.

That Grundig was pristine except for the dial strings being off (I just set FM tuning cap to my favorite station and used the record changer)...When I was 12 years old and my family getting ready to move I brought it to a certain S&S Grundig shop in Chicago the changer on the unit was not secured and on the ride there it fell out and the pickup arm broke...The mean Germans that ran the place had the gall to blame ME for breaking the arm. A bit of a scene and argument broke out. After that, we took it to the shop of the fellow that got me started in radio repair. He discovered there was a damaged friction clutch mech on the tuning knob that the band switch actuated to operate the FM cap independent of the AM/SW cap. He was unsure if he could get the parts he needed, and while he was looking into it the console fell off a cart in his shop and the cabinet got ruined...After that, it got sold for parts. I really liked that console and was not happy at what became of it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4