View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I too am working up to tackling my Webcor units

I made two mistakes when reassembling the Motorola-branded changer from a 1962 Motorola Stereophonic Console. I want to sell this unit as working flawlessly.

1. When removing the spindle plunger as SOP for disassembly, the ball got lost - this disabled the record drop function. The spindle itself was so full of gunk and the ball stuck inside, falling out silently and rolling to parts unknown under my bench.

2. The idler wheel was slipping and rubber was pretty hard on both motor and platter tires, so I decided I would invest $40 in a rebuilt from Gary at V-M. When I reassembled it, the speeds were wrong. Checking vertical alignment of the idler, it was between steps on the motor. It was then I realized I needed to put both standard and spring washers on the idler shaft first only the c-clip goes on top.

3. Here's the best one: The record mat was misalinged on the platter and covered the 10-inch record detection "button", which made it think there was a 7" when I play 33s - this may be your issue, colectorad

I used the exploded view of a V-M 1244 -sams set 646- to figure it out but having a second {working} changer is priceless.
My V-M Changer that's on my Motorola 3 Channel Portable is having some issues as well (even though I completely overhauled the thing)

1) the changer doesn't like to trigger at the end of the record like its supposed to unless I use it in changer mode, then it will trigger the mechanism at the end of the record.

2) The changer for some reason doesn't want to activate everytime I trigger the reject switch on the power switch, sometimes it will trigger and sometimes it wont.

3) even though I completely cleaned and relubed the turntable platter and its bearing and the changer mechanism, the turntable platter will still for some reason or another stop mid cycle and has to be helped along to finish the changer cycle, and I'm not sure why it still does that even though I completely overhauled the changer mechanism.

Also my V-M Changer on my late 1960s Solid State Zenith Console does the same thing as mentioned above except the 12" drop trigger doesn't work because its missing its spring, and I can't get the changer mechanism to trigger by turning it to "reject" on the power switch, and also the trip lever seems to be non-functional because it doesn't trigger unless you move the tone arm all the way into the center of the turntable next to the spindle and even then the changer mechanism is kind of funky in how it operates.

Any ideas?