View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just found out an awesome mod for the 465. My meter on heater voltage was reading way high on the 11-13v range and low on the 0-3v range. I had it set exactly at 6v. I was experimenting with capacitors in parallel with the meter. I went from 1nf all the way to 470uf. The capacitors solved a jittery needle but didn't solve the inaccurate readings. So I took a 1n4001 diode to test in place of the orginal meter diode for the heater voltage. But I didn't feel like heating the iron up again.

I took the diode in parallel with the meter. The anode is to meter positive and cathode to meter negative. My meter was accurate now! But when I did a emission test on my 17BP4 tube it was now 180ua. Not the 460ua before. My diode screwed with my reading! So I took the diodes anode off the meter and attached some wire to the diode. The cathode remained on the meter. I ran the wire from the diode over the the wiper of the calibration pot(schematic shows 20kohm). This way the diode is in parallel with the meter when in the heater voltage setting but not in emission and other ranges. I'm bridging the mode switch as per the schematic but everything works fine.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow. I put the tester up and don't feel like pulling it back out. Try this mod if your meter is off. It sure bugged me. But now it's fixed.