View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I'll be interested to see the right angle adapters you make for the two small signal tubes . The glass bell is that much bigger than the metal cone ?
One of the other recent CTC-5 threads had a better method/tutorial on making the right angle adapters than what I did. They used 2 wafer sockets and stuck the right gauge wire through one socket (to make a 9-pin base) bent it cleanly and wired it to another socket.
I did not have either the wafer sockets or the right gauge of wire on hand so my adapters are VERY UGLY...Picture the bottom of a dud 9-pin tube carefully hacked off with a bench grinder and a 9 pin PCB type socket joined with a mess of sloppily bent and soldered wires that look as though Picasso and Salvador Dali teamed up to do the interconnect work. I was going for fast, free and functional.

The problem with the glass CRT here is the mounts. One signal tube hits the second strap in the middle the other hits the strap under the bracket...If the strap was gone I could probably install both tubes normally...Though the one under the bracket would have to be removed any time the chassis was being removed or installed since it would live in the hollow of the bracket.

The glass CRT is deeper between the face and the bell than the AXP. The bell of a glass CRT also takes up more room than a metal CRT, but both are the same length socket to screen so the bell and difference in mounting methods are the only two issues to contend with.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.