View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Too bad about the crt. Electronic M has a good point, put the tube in plastic, better yet, do what you can to bring it down to a vacuum and then seal it. Even if all you can do is HVAC level vacuum, heat it too and boil out as much water as you can..... Then seal it.
I did not seal mine in plastic. There is a plastic CRT insulator to keep prying fingers from touching the metal bell. That insulator is unnecessary with a glass CRT so I have it stored on my removed, dead AXP. Mine still holds some vacuum so I plan to leave it be.

If I was in Phill's position (with a tube that is completely down to air) I'd remove the base and the pinch-off stem and try to fill the tube with a noble gas that is heavier than air. Noble gas is non-reactive(unlike air) so it would be chemically about the same as having the tube under vacuum and, as long as it does not leak out, would preserve the phosphor and metals inside the CRT preventing further corrosion. After filling it through the pinch-off I'd store it face down and seal the pinch-off with caulk or some such.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4