Thread: P & M session
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
My 2006 Jeep Wrangler has a six speed manual transmission that seems to have a real low first gear. When driving it, I also shift through all the gears, instead of starting out in a higher gear, which is harder on the clutch.
Regarding the engine cut-off feature, there's is some gasoline-only cars out there that have it. I believe it's not a good system.
The Prius' design doesn't use an alternator or a starter. Everything is done by the traction motor and the invertor system.
There's a theory of operation found on the internet.
I knew one guy who had a 1988 Ford F-150 with a 4-speed; He would always start out in second gear, probably not a good idea considering what I've read here. He also drove a fuel truck with a splitter switch so I couldn't tell what was going on there.

I'm not sure what a traction motor is; I've heard of traction elevators but I hadn't heard the term used elsewhere. There's another thing to look up.

I found this fairly recently, it's the result of someone who drove her VW Transporter everywhere in third gear because she didn't know how to operate a manual.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burned-up VW Transporter clutch.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)