View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would say I am about 99% positive. When this monitor was built they would have been using the silastic stuff which I can see on various places on the board. It is also generally white which the stuff under the caps was not though I suppose it could have broke down and changed color like described but other items in the vicinity have the same stuff that looks perfectly fine. This monitor was built in 92 which in my experience puts it right in with the other electrolytic cap disasters of that era. Either way those caps were replaced and the board thoroughly scrubbed with alcohol. Another thing was that you could see that the rubber plug in alot of the caps were pushed out. Keeping that in mind I will do a quick once over to see if there are any places that might be causing higher voltage due to what you have shown in that post. Could certainly cause what I am describing.

I think my biggest issue is i am not very good at spotting the begining and end of circuite to be able to trace the voltages backwards and see where the faulty component is. I guess its a lack of general understand of a circuit that confuses me.

Last edited by Shibby; 03-19-2018 at 03:10 PM.