View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 02:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to repair your problematic meter. Legit my mom used to work for Simpson repairing meter movements.
I tried to get the snag out of the 209C, but to no success. There was no real method to my madness and frankly truly working on the tiny parts, even on the biggest meter are for the eyes, tools, and patience of a watchmaker or jeweler of some sort. I just took the movement assembly apart and hoped to find a physical obstruction to the pointer or something, but there was none. I figured oil would do more harm than good, so I refrained there. I imagine any foreign matter that could somehow rest within the rotor and field winding would easily stop the uber sensitive movements.

I found out (just in case someone else ever needs the info) that the B and C models are the same meter. My big screw up was cobbling a good movement from an old 209 first series into this C model. They aren't the same movement. I knew that the screw holes were different, but figured I'd be ok if I could get past that. I wound up with a no snag meter that won't zero or go full scale. Just a small bit of deflection angle difference I suppose. Basically I ruined two VTVMs to save the one of likely lesser value! Duhhh!